Edinburgh & District Advanced Motorcyclists Privacy Notice
EDAM is committed to protecting your privacy. We comply with the principles of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and aim to maintain consistently high levels of best practice in our processing of personal data.
This Privacy Notice covers EDAM in relation to the collection and use of the information you give us. We may change this Policy from time to time. If we make any significant changes we will advertise this on the website or contact you directly with the information.
If you have any questions or concerns about your personal information, please contact us using the details provided at the bottom of this Notice.
Our basis for processing your personal information and what we use it for
EDAM aims to be very clear when we collect your personal data and will not do anything you wouldn’t reasonably expect in order to provide the products and/or services that you request, to communicate with you, and to personalise our information we send to you.
We will process your personal data because it is necessary for the performance of a contract. For example, if you purchase a driving course or for the mailing of membership magazines.
We may process personal data because it is in our legitimate interests to do so, which may include some or all of the following:
- to provide the information or service requested by you
- to better understand how people interact with our website
- where the processing enables us to enhance, modify, personalise or otherwise improve our services / communications for the benefit of our members
- to provide communications which we think will be of interest to you
- to manage attendance and participation at EDAM events
EDAM may wish to disclose personal information for a secondary purpose (i.e. a purpose not directly related to the primary purpose for which the information was collected). In such cases we will seek your consent before doing so.
What type of information we collect and how we use your information
We will use your personal information in a number of ways which reflect the legal basis applying to the processing of your data.
We ask for your postal address, contact number, and email address to enable us to contact you in relation to an enquiry you have made, relevant IAM Roadsmart products or services you have purchased or are interested in, or there is another genuine reason for doing so.
As a member of EDAM you are entitled to receive a copy of our regular newsletter, Twistgrip. If you do not wish to receive this please inform us via email or click the UNSUBSCRIBE button at the bottom of the email at any time. The mailing list for this newsletter is handled internally by EDAM and your data will not be shared with any third party mailing list company.
Occasionally, we may also use the information we collect to notify you about new or existing IAM RoadSmart services, products and special offers we think you’ll find valuable.
As required by the General Data Protection Regulation, we follow strict security procedures in the storage and disclosure of information you have provided to us. You have the right to object to this processing. Please bear in mind that if you object this may affect our ability to deliver the products and services you have requested.
Disclosure of information to third parties
EDAM will not share your details to third parties except:
- where we have your permission
- where we are required to deliver your product or service
- where we are required by law and by law enforcement agencies, judicial bodies, government entities, tax authorities or regulatory bodies around the world.
We may also disclose your personal information if we are required to do so under any legal obligation and may use external data for the purposes of fraud prevention and credit risk reduction, or where doing so would not infringe your rights, but is necessary and in the public interest.
If EDAM does utilise a third party as a sub-processor, we will inform you under the requirements of GDPR.
If we provide information to a third party (either a provider of a product or service, or an external data processing agency such as a mailing house) we will exercise the strictest control over the third party contractually, requiring it and any of its agents and/or suppliers to:
- maintain the security and confidentiality of the information and restrict access to EDAM Committee responsible officers
- use the data for the agreed purpose only and prevent it being used for any other purpose by any other party
- refrain from communicating with you other than concerning the product in question
- return the data to us at the conclusion of any contract term and destroy or delete any copies made of all or any part of the information unless copies are needed to be kept to comply with regulations.
In addition, we will restrict the information disclosed to the absolute minimum necessary, for example, to provide the product or service.
Unless you have told us that you do not want to hear from us, we may send you relevant information (including details of other products or services provided by IAM RoadSmart) which we believe may be of interest to you. If you change your mind about how you would like us to contact you or you no longer wish to receive this information, you can tell us at any time by using contact details below.
How we use Google Analytics
When someone visits our website we use a third party service, Google Analytics, to collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. We do this to find out things such as the volume and profile (age, gender, geographical location etc.) of visitors to the various parts of the site.
This information is only processed on a group basis and in a way which does not identify individuals. We do not make, and do not allow Google to make, any attempt to find out the identities of those visiting our website.
Google analytics cookies used:
_ga, _gat, _gid – Cookies associated with Google Analytics, these cookies allow visibility of statistics of those browsing the site
How long do we keep your information?
We will hold your personal information for as long as it is necessary for the relevant activity. By way of example, we hold records of payment you make for at least six years so we can fulfil our statutory obligations for tax purposes.
We may retain information after your association with us has come to an end. Some information may be retained indefinitely for historical, statistical or research purposes. As stated below, you have the right to require us to erase personal data.
You have a number of legal rights to control what EDAM can do with your information. For example, the right to:
- be informed about the collection and use of your personal data
- access the information we hold about you
- correct or update information we hold about you
- have the information we hold about you erased
- restrict or suppress your personal information
- obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purpose
- object to the processing of their personal data in certain circumstances.
Please note that:
In some cases, exercising these rights may mean that we are no longer able to provide you with our products and services.
We will not administer requests by a third party unless accompanied by evidence that the third party is entitled to act on behalf of the individual.
Please also note that the above rights are not absolute, and we may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Notice may be changed from time to time. If we make any significant changes we will advertise this on our website or contact you directly with the information.
Do please check this Policy each time you consider giving your personal information to us.
- In writing to: EDAM Secretary, 93 Caiyside Edinburgh EH10 7HR
- Via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Using the contact form – http://www.edam.org.uk/contact-us
This Policy was last updated on 26 June 2020