WHAT IS ADVANCED RIDING?
SO WHAT IS ADVANCED MOTORCYCLING?
The Driving Standards Agency book – Riding -“ the essential skills”contains a chapter on defensive riding – safety through observation, anticipation and control. This should give you time to react, and space to react in.
Advanced Riding is about demonstrating a safe, systematic, smooth and progressive ride. This skill is one of the cheaper add-ons you can buy to make your bike perform better, and it works on every bike you will ever own.
The IAM RoadSmart Advanced Rider Course uses a systematic approach to riding, of Information, Position, Speed, Gear, then Acceleration (IPSGA) to achieve this.
- Information – Take, Use, Give.
- – Taking – being aware of all that’s happening around you
- – Using – forming your Riding Plan – Position, Speed and Gear
- – Giving – letting other road users know what you plan to do.
- Position – the safest place to be on the road, to approach and negotiate a hazard
- Speed – a suitable road speed to approach and negotiate a hazard
- Gear – a flexible gear for that road speed
- Acceleration – a change in speed once hazard is passed.